Patient Paralyzed After Misdiagnosis Sues Hospital
Frances Miller of Fayette County, PA has filed a lawsuit against Highlands Hospital, claiming she was paralyzed after a bacterial spine infection was misdiagnosed when she visited the hospital’s ER. The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reports that an on-call doctor didn’t discover her infection until more than 24 hours later, which was too late.
Tragedies like these are not uncommon. An article in the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) reported recently that approximately 100,000 people die every year because of medical malpractice and nearly half of these fatalities are because of emergency room errors. Medical malpractice is the third leading cause of death in the country.
When a misdiagnosis results in a catastrophic injury like this, victims and their families need an experienced Philadelphia personal injury attorney who can help them recover damages to pay their medical costs and other expenses.
In this case, the hospital was negligent, even if hospital staff members did not intentionally harm the patient. They may still be held liable since their neglect led to Ms. Miller becoming paralyzed. Failing to treat or see a patient within a reasonable amount of time (which often happens in emergency rooms) is just one example of negligence in the hospital setting. It is also imperative that hospitals properly sterilize equipment, keep proper patient records, and properly diagnose a patient’s illness. They must also order tests and procedures that are appropriate for specific illnesses.
If you or a loved one has been injured because of a physician or hospital staff member’s neglect, the Philadelphia medical malpractice attorneys at Cherry Fieger & Marciano, LLP can let you know what your legal options are and help you through the process. Please call us today for a free consultation.