The family of a Connecticut woman who died after her chenille bathrobe caught on fire has filed a federal lawsuit against a Pennsylvania-based retailer. According to an article by the Associated Press on Philly.com, attorneys for the estate of an 80-year-old woman filed suit last week in U.S. District Court in Hartford, CT against Blair LLC. They are claiming wrongful death and product liability and are seeking $30 million.
The woman was severely burned on Feb. 12, 2005, when her robe ignited as she made tea in her home. She died two weeks later.
The robes were linked to nine deaths. Blair recently expanded its recall of more than 300,000 chenille products it imported from a Pakistani manufacturer.
As a consumer, you have the right to assume that products you purchase or use have been produced in a manner that would ensure that they are safe and free from unreasonable risks. If a company manufactures or sells a product that is hazardous to the user, the company must be held liable for any injuries or fatalities that occurred due to the faulty product.